The Institute of Cultural Affairs, UK (ICA:UK) is a charity that works nationally and internationally providing facilitation training and resources for both groups and individuals. They aim to use facilitation, with a focus on participation, to bring about positive changes in communities and organisations.
They have a comprehensive list of free resources on their site to support facilitation best practice. They provide course materials on their proven ‘Technology of Participation’(ToP) facilitation methods and lists of books, videos, articles and blogs related to ToP.
The course materials cover:
- Virtual facilitation methods
- Group facilitation methods
- Meetings that work
- Participatory strategic planning
- Dynamic action planning
In addition to their own resources, they also link to other effective group facilitation methods and interactive design resources to fulfill the needs of your specific group. If you are keen to meet or collaborate with other facilitators, they list International Association of Facilitators Meet Up Groups by UK region.
Access the resource list here.
In the first session of the Mesh webinar: Engagement at a distance: Sharing lessons from experience, ICA:UK trainer Órla Cronin, draws on her experience of virtual facilitation and virtual training to consider how we can design virtual events to maximise engagement and productivity. Orla provides some tips on ways to manage some of the challenges (human and technical) of virtual working. She delivered a highly interactive session where participants had the opportunity to experiment with some tools and techniques. Watch it here.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Project Report: Women in STEM: A science mentorship program to inspire young women and girls in Malawi
- Project Report: PowerPack of SuperScientists: Reframing gendered narratives to empower female scientists in South Africa
- Project Report: Creative Arts and Social Inclusion: Engaging communities with substance misuse and HIV in Zimbabwe